Head of Engineering
We are looking for a Head of Engineering for OPT/NET (relocation to the Netherlands).
What do we do?
We build AI-driven platforms that help our clients extract time-critical insights from massive volumes of data. OPT/NET developed Artificial Intelligence-driven anomaly detection platforms intended to bridge the gap between humans, big data, and technology in several mission-critical domains.
Why do we do it?
The data volumes grow exponentially and much faster than humans can process. With only less than 5% of collected data ever being processed there was no solution on the market before our company came on stage. Our mission is to positively impact the lives of more than 1 billion people on Earth in the next 5 years, and we have a story to prove it.
How do we do it?
Our patented process allows our platform to autonomously detect, fuze, cluster, and analyse complex patterns from any time-series data stream in real-time. We combine real space-worthy technology from European Space Agency with very advanced concepts in AI. Advanced mathematics, linear algebra and analytical geometry, quantum physics and wave mechanics all come to use in our products and our team of engineers is a very experienced group of individuals with a stellar track record and past achievements. Our technological partnerships with the European Space Agency and the University of Amsterdam create very fertile soil for improving our technology and building new knowledge.
What distinguishes our company/project from others? Why are we worth joining?
The company's platform successfully makes human operators more successful through the application of patented technology and homegrown proprietary AI methodology. We have live deployments in critical environments which autonomously analyse the streaming data and automatically group it into manageable actionable insights by providing a full visual and textual narrative for each anomaly, enabling our clients to react faster, smarter, and more effectively to every sign of trouble without missing a thing and avoiding costly errors and disastrous consequences.
The optimistic and pessimistic estimations of team/company growth for the nearest several years.
In the course of the COVID pandemy, the team of 10 has made tremendous commercial and technological progress and just exited the “stealth mode” and with secured funding is expected to grow exponentially in the next 3 years. With many customers lined up and projects scheduled for delivery in several key Big Data analytics markets OPT/NET has the ambition to become the next unicorn.
Always wondered that you missed out when the next unicorn was being made in a garage somewhere in Silicon Valley? This is the time… and the place is Dutch “Monterey”. Come and see for yourself and make your own future with your own hands by joining the team of like-minded professionals!
Which professional skills are important to us?
- 7 years of working experience in a senior frontend (Service) and backend (Software) development position.
- Experience in software engineering, AI knowledge pack or AI development and/or supporting large customer projects in telecom or service provider market segments.
- Experiences in telecom OSS or network management projects is a necessary prérequisite.
- Experience in the management of technical teams through cross-functional projects and recording project progress.
- Proven track-record of consistent project delivery, and designing and developing complex, interactive customer software deliverables.
- Experience building customer-facing products and services as well as the deployment of standard APIs. -Experience in agile development practices and architectural knowledge of web-based, cloud and backend technologies.
- The Director of Engineering, must be technologically adept and demonstrate outstanding computer and IT skills. Should possess an innate understanding of data modeling and IT architectures (e.g. Linux/unix, Cloud and networked applications, streaming data, time series and relational DB, hardware-accelerated computing, server architecture, electronics, etc) for scalability.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant field(s) (multidisciplinary or higher scientific degrees are preferred).
Is English required?
Yes, advanced level.
What is important for us in this person?
Communication skills both in written and verbal form are imperative for the Director of Engineering. DE has to have perfect communication skills in this leadership position where the clarity of communications to engineering personnel will determine the success or failure of software within the business.
The Director of Engineering also plays a highly collaborative role where clarity in communications will largely determine the effectiveness and efficiency with which cross-functional duties are executed. Communication skills will also be necessary in the drafting of progress reports for executive management, which must be clear, concise, comprehensive, and easy-to-understand.
The candidate must be customer and result-oriented, be a creative and strategic thinker, work comfortably in a highly collaborative and open environment, and will work comfortably in a constantly evolving environment. The candidate must also have a keen eye for detail, have a constant and insatiable thirst for knowledge, and have an ability to remain calm and composed in times of uncertainty and stress, inspiring the same in peers and subordinates.
What do we specifically do in the project?
Solving the most complex data problems in real time. Parallel processing, multidimensional streaming data processing with broad set of AI methodologies in the field of telecom, security, critical infrastructures. We work with complex time series representing telemetry, logs, IoT measurements, spectral and radar satellite imagery, and any other types of streaming data.
Why is there a vacant position?
Funding was secured to fuel the growth into next 3 years with additional funding being prepared and new customers signing up the company is quite literally taking off, increasing demands on the engineering organisation so that the current CTO needs a trusted wingman who will become leader of our Engineering organisation.
What are the growth/development opportunities in a position?
The position will grow with an organization while remaining the Head but adjusting the title and compensation based on the merit and achievements of the individual. Reaching VP level is feasible within a couple of years.
How big are the team and company and what is the structure?
Current engineering team size 5 arranged in 2 product lines and 3 functions in flat organization. Includes 1 PhD in AI.
To whom will the specialist directly subordinate?
Head of Engineering
How old is the project?
10+ years, proven track record distinguished with multiple prestigious product awards and nominations, including Copernicus Masters, XPrize, AIConics and others.
What is current stage of the project?
TRL7-9, shipping product, customer deployments but also ambitious and funded R&D efforts will continue.
Where are the people who make technical decisions about the project?
The Netherlands, local.
About the terms
- Is there a probation term and for how long? 3 months
- Are the overtimes expected? What is the overtime policy? We are in a startup environment and we have to put the extra time in when required. We are open to find a reasonable way to compensate at another stage.
- Is it possible to work remotely on some days? Anywhere anytime as long as job is done exceeding all expectations of our valuable customers
- Is there any prospect of business trips, and where? Possible trips in support of the customer projects, as well as attendance of the conferences.
- What is work schedule? Usual working hours are between 9AM and 6PM CET
- How many vacation/sick leaves days are there? Standard Dutch full time employment contract applies with statutory vacation/sick leave pay and social allowances
- Is it possible to be relocated abroad and how company supports the relocation? Yes. Relocation to the Netherlands, Bergen.
According to the process
- Is there a test task? -Yes, but not extensive
- Is the interview going to be in English?
- Part of the interviews will be in English
- How many stages of an interview are there? 2-3 stages, COO/CTO/CEO
If you like the vacancy, please send us your CV.