We are looking for an Infrastructure Engineer
More info in the form of Q&A below.
What do we do?
The project is a collaborative and fully extensible data platform which makes data science accessible to companies of all sizes by enabling them to trust, collaborate on, and leverage their data for impactful insights and data driven business logic and decisions.
We are an early stage start up, and we are looking for enthusiastic engineers who share the start up culture with its mobility, agility and team spirit.
Why do we do it?
In order to make data driven decisions, you need to trust your data. And to trust your data, you need SSoT (Single Source of Truth) practice in your data organization. Implementing this practice is only possible in a collaborative data platform, by building reliable, uniform and reusable/reproducible pipelines.
How we are (as a company/project) different from others?
All remote culture as we aspire to work with the best talent, no matter where they live. We firmly believe that exceptional companies can only be built by exceptional people, who are passionate about their work, grounded, achieve more with less, full of grit, challenge themselves and their team relentlessly to do better, and have radical candor. Our team and culture is paramount to all else.
How old is the project? What is the current stage of the project?
Founded 6 months ago.
How do we do it? (what technologies we use, etc.)?
- We favor and support open-source.
- Apache Spark is at the core of our platform.
- We mainly use Java in the backend with some Scala/Python/Django/GraphQL and TypeScript on the frontend (with Blueprint JS as our design toolkit/system).
- Kubernetes & Terraform & AWS & CircleCI are important parts of our stack and deployment model.
Which professional skills are important to us?
Most importantly, you are brilliant, hardworking, and eager to learn.
Experience or high interest in infrastructure/site reliability/DevOps engineering
As for hard skills (not all are required, just to give you an idea):
- Containerization (ideally Docker and Kubernetes)
- Experience with a cloud provider (ideally with AWS)
- Scripting language, ideally Bash and Python
- Monitoring systems such as Prometheus or Nagios and writing health checks
- Obsession for automating workflows
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills
Would be a big plus:
- Experience with CloudFormation or Terraform is a big plus
What would I have to do?
You will be responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, capacity planning, security, developer productivity, and CI/CD pipelines, among other things. You will create a bridge between development and operations by applying a software engineering mindset to system administration topics. To achieve this, you will be part of all stages of product development from idea-generation to shipping.
Is English required?
The level of English is extremely important as there will be constant communication in the English speaking environment. The desired level is not lower than the Upper Intermediate.
What would be important for us in this person?
- Strong communication skills in this multi-national open environment.
- Skills to work independently and make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Interest in working in a dynamic environment with dynamic objectives.
Why is there a vacant position?
Growth and development of the project
What are the growth/development opportunities in this position?
We are not looking for candidates with proven managerial skills at the moment, since you plan to develop the product actively first.
What are the size and structure of the team? How many testers/developers are there in the team?
For the time being our team consists of 12 people, including 2 Co-founders, several engineers of Middle to Senior level (including Frontend and DevOps), 1 Designer, and 1 Junior engineer.
Where are the people who make technical decisions about the project (location)?
UK, Turkey, Belgium, Netherlands, Ukraine, Bulgaria and will be more :)
What interesting activities do we do (as a company) for the community (events, community support, etc.)?
We are aiming to create a collaborative platform for data scientists. Having conducted 70+ customer validation interviews, we've came up to a conclusion that the way Data Science works is very isolative, so we want to make something like Figma in Data Science. Currently, many companies are putting effort on data engineering, but not in Data Science.
As per the working conditions:
- Is there a trial period and how long does it last? - Yes, 1 month.
- Overtimes, how often, what is the approach to payment? - Depends on sprints. This is a startup, and there is a high probability that there will be overtimes. Overtime payment is not yet provided, but the compensation package can be discussed in an interview
- What is the work schedule? - We currently prefer teammates to be within UTC until UTC + 5.
- Is it possible to work remotely some days? - Fully remote workstyle, work anywhere.
- The number of vacation days? - 20 days a year.
- Is there a prospect of business trips, and where? - Business trips are not provided because the nature of the project is remote. However, the company plans to bring the entire team together several times a year.
- Social package (medical insurance, other): Equity plan, highly competitive salary (above-market rates).
As per the application process:
- Is there a test task? - There is no test item. The stages of the interview are as follows: a short introductory call, a technical interview (several hours), and at least one interview with the founder and possibly someone of the team.
- Interview in English? - All stages of the interview with the client described above will be held in English.
- Who will review the resume? - Founders
- How many stages of the interview, with whom? - Recruiter interview and all stages of client-side interview described above.
If you like the vacancy, please send us your CV.