Senior Frontend Developer
We are looking for a Senior Frontend Developer for Layer. More info in the form of Q&A below.
What do we do?
Layer is a collaborative and fully extensible data platform which makes data science accessible to companies of all sizes by enabling them to trust, collaborate on, and leverage their data for impactful insights and data driven business logic and decisions.
We are an early stage start up and we are looking for enthusiastic engineers who share the start up culture with its mobility, agility and team spirit.
Why do we do it?
In order to make data driven decisions, you need to trust your data. And to trust your data, you need SSoT (Single Source of Truth) practice in your data organisation. Implementing this practice is only possible in a collaborative data platform, by building reliable, uniform and reusable/reproducible pipelines.
The team is led by a serial entrepreneur, Mehmet Ecevit, who most recently built and exited Gram Games, for $500M, with a world class engineering team who have previously worked at companies like Google, Palantir, Improbable, Hazelcast, Lightbend, Datarobot, OakNorth and more. The company plans to expand the product and tech team to 15 FTEs in the next 2 months.
Layer is bootstrapped so far and finalizing a $4M seed round in the near future before a sizeable Series A planned in the next 12 months.
How we are (as a company/project) different from others?
Layer has an all remote culture as we aspire to work with the best talent, no matter where they live. We firmly believe that exceptional companies can only be built by exceptional people, who are passionate about their work, grounded, achieve more with less, full of grit, challenge themselves and their team relentlessly to do better, and have radical candor. Our team and culture is paramount to all else.
How old is the project? What is current stage of the project?
Layer is an early stage startup, founded 4 months ago.
How do we do it? (what technologies we use, etc.)?
- We favor and support open-source.
- Apache Spark is at the core of our platform.
- We use Scala on the core engine, Python/Django/GraphQL on the backend and TypeScript on the frontend (with Blueprint JS as our design toolkit/system).
- Kubernetes & Terraform & AWS are important parts of our stack and deployment model.
The preferred professional level of the candidate: Exceptional Senior.
Which professional skills are important to us?
- Having built complex, performant UIs with clean code and architecture
- Significant experience with TypeScript and React are definite requirements for this role.
- You are also expected to have used Webpack, ESLint, SCSS, Redux.
Would be a big plus:
- Although not must-have, GraphQL and redux-saga experiences are a big plus.
- Blueprint.js, Python/Django, API Design, backend development, Figma experiences are nice-to-have.
- Open source contributions are a plus.
What would I have to do?
Your mission in this role is to design and build web applications that our users can interact with their data in the best way possible. You will be building interfaces so that our users can explore their big data and turn into meaningful/actionable insights. To achieve this, you will be part of all stages of product development from idea-generation to shipping. You will be in constant communication with all other vertical teams of product development such as backend developers to put together a solution to our users’ needs.
Is English required? - The level of English is extremely important as there will be constant communication in the English speaking environment. The desired level is not lower than the Upper Intermediate.
What would be important for us in this person?
- Strong communication skills in this multi-national open environment.
- Skills to work independently and make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Interest in working in a dynamic environment with dynamic objectives.
Why is there a vacant position?
Growth and development of the project
What are the growth/development opportunities on this position?
We are not looking for candidates with proven managerial skills at the moment, since you plan to develop the product actively first.
What are the size and structure of the team? How many testers / developers are there in the team?
For the time being our team consists of 12 people, including 2 Co-founders, several engineers of Middle to Senior level (including Frontend and DevOps), 1 Designer, and 1 Junior engineer.
Where are the people who make technical decisions about the project (location)?
London, Istanbul, Belgium, Netherlands, Ukraine, Bulgaria.
What interesting activities do we do (as a company) for the community (events, community support, etc.)?
We are aiming to create a collaborative platform for data scientists. Having conducted 70+ customer validation interviews, we've came up to a conclusion that the way Data Science works is very isolative, so we want to make something like Figma in Data Science. Currently, many companies are putting effort on data engineering, but not in Data Science.
As per the working conditions:
- Is there a trial period and how long does it last? - Yes, 1 month.
- Overtimes, how often, what is the approach to payment? - Depends on sprints. This is a startup, and there is a high probability that there will be overtimes. Overtime payment is not yet provided, but the compensation package can be discussed in an interview
- What is the work schedule? - We currently prefer teammates to be within UTC until UTC + 5.
- Is it possible to work remotely some days? - Fully remote workstyle, work anywhere.
- The number of vacation days? - 20 days a year.
- Is there a prospect of business trips, and where? - Business trips are not provided because the nature of the project is remote. However, the company plans to bring the entire team together several times a year.
- Social package (medical insurance, other): Equity plan, highly competitive salary (above-market rates), private medical care
- When, how and in what currency is the salary paid / calculated? - To bank account, once a month, in dollars.
As per the application process:
- Is there a test task? - There is no test item. The stages of the interview are as follows: a short introductory call, a technical interview (several hours), and at least one interview with the founder and possibly someone of the team.
- Interview in English? - All stages of the interview with the client described above will be held in English.
- Who will review the resume? - Founders
- How many stages of the interview, with whom? - Recruiter interview and all stages of client-side interview described above
If you like the vacancy, please send us your CV.